Tuesday 15 December 2015

Repeat After Me


It's the middle of the month. so it must be time for the Gossamer Blue Inspiration Blog Hop! if you are just about to open your kit and decide which of the lovely pieces to use first, we hope you'll find something to inspire you along our hop today.

The page I have to show you was created out of chaos.


Now I'm sure some (many? all? everyone apart from me?) have beautiful organised, know-where-everything-is, always-wiped-clean scrapbooking spaces. I don't. I have to hold my hand up and say I work in (whisper it) a mess. I pull out lots of supplies every time I make a page, but I'm never in a rush to put them away again. I can't help myself.



I've fought against it. But I always come back round to an acceptance that I think better with all my stuff around me. 

So this page? I had just taken a photo of my brushes in the middle of my latest midden (which is what we call a trash heap round here) when my December kits arrived. When I saw the pieces with coloured pencils and paint chips, I thought..there's a page in there..


..I started to clear space for a fresh sheet of white cardstock and I lifted my "spatter" page: that painty, inky sheet of card I'd been using to test my colours on. I looked at it. I couldn't. Could I? Well, yes: I could. The colours were perfect, so I made my page on a background of a genuine piece of my desk detritus. I hope you think it worked, because today I'm saying inspiration can be found in the most unlikely of places. So stop! If you are about to throw that out; just have one more look...

The quotes come from one of my favourite books (excellent for any scrapbooker interested in storytelling) Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. Oh, and yes! I found somewhere to use those eyelashes in the Shine Ephemera diecuts in the Main Kit. They echo the brushes in the photo and they guide your eye down the page. try them up near the top of your layout somewhere!

And now I'm going to point you onwards. I hope you find lots of inspiration from the Gossamer Blue team this month. Click on a name and see what there is to discover!

Alex Hunter Anabelle O'Malley Brenda Smith Brenda Weaver Caylee Grey Emily Spahn Eunyoung Lee Felicitas Mayer France Wisniewski Heather Leopard Jill Keller Kathleen Graumüller Kellie Winnell Kelly Xenos Michelle Wedertz Sandra Dietrich Sian Fair (you are here!) Stephanie Buice

All supplies used from December kits by Gossamer Blue

16 comments:

Ruth said...

Clever use of the eyelashes ... I never would have thought of using them that way ... if at all!

Brenda Weaver said...

who has time to clean up when there are so many projects to make? Love the page. Love the eyelashes! Love the journaling pieces.

Patio Postcards said...

You are right - it works & it works wonderfully, great inspiration! Oh those eyelashes entice me in - a coy beckon to read on.

Kathleen | ScatteredConfetti said...

No worries, I'm always working in a mess and my scrap space is only (if at all) clean when I have no time to scrap. But as soon as I sit down, it looks like sth. blew up on my table :D

Unknown said...

Fab blog post and love the layout too :)

alexa said...

So much to admire on this page - the clever colour palette, the perfect placing of all things black to pull your eye round the page, and the super journalling 'bubbles'. Your pages always look so effortless - which is how I know they very definitely are not :).

Karen said...

Love the title, love reading about your process (always inspiring), and realize I must reread Bird By Bird, which I read years ago.

Sandie said...

I really enjoyed this post Sian. It's a great page, and I love that you used one of your scrap pages as a backgrounds. And why not? It looks the part and fits perfect! I keep most of my scraps and samples, cut up they can look very different, and they are good to use in mixed media or tags. Waste not, want not I say!
I always enjoy reading about your process and was especially pleased to hear that you are a fellow messy worker. I sometimes get so overwhelmed I have a quick clear of the surface (floor and table... maybe chairs too!) but within minutes I have to start hauling things out again. I can never work tidily!
I've not heard of this book, I must look out Bird By Bird.

Lizzy Hill said...

This is a stunner. LOOOOOOVE how you've used your errrr.....available card for the bg cardstock! And the eyelashes are fabulous:) Really like the whole idea of this page. And fascinated how we all scrap in different errr 'environments'!!! Your midden certainly works a treat for you!

scrappyjacky said...

I definately work in a mess....though I call it 'organised chaos'!

alexandra s.m. said...

Incredible page Sian: Unique, beautiful, creative and full of humour!
Thank You!!

Mitralee said...

I personally like to keep a bit of dust on the edges of my desk to keep things preserved..you know the wood..could get scratched if not for a bit of dust....and then there is the gold paint splatters....and the matt I work on that is all stained up..and those are the constants...right now it has a half completed page on it begging me to return to finish it...I love your paint splatter background...this is my second time looking at it! Hugs on your process so super cool!

Lou said...

those are lashes are lush!! such a pretty page Sian. The bigger the mess the better the project x

Melissa said...

This is absolutely fabulous & exactly what I've been discovering this year ... INSPIRATION can be found everywhere & anywhere!

Jo said...

Your homemade base sheet is perfect. I have to tidy up after each layout because I use the dining table :)

Unknown said...

What a lovely kit, I love the colour scheme and the little eyelashes are adorable! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails