Thursday 8 July 2010

Coconut Ice

It's bad when the power goes off in the kitchen. It's good when you can turn to your tall son for help.

I go:  Oh, no, the washing machine has tripped all the switches
He goes:  You can't reach the fuse box, can you Mum?
I adopt a suitably helpless expression and go: Could you please have a look in the fuse box for me?
And he punches the air in macho delight. Sorted. Apart from the washing machine. And so, instead of doing the laundry, we made a batch of coconut ice

Coconut Ice


375g (13oz) icing sugar
125ml (4 fl oz) milk
pinch of salt
25g (1oz) butter
60g (2oz) desiccated coconut
pink food colouring



  • Heat the icing sugar, milk, butter and salt in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Stop stirring and bring it to the boil.

  • Cook until it reaches softball stage. we use a sugar thermometer to check this.

  • Stir in the coconut and let it sit for 5 minutes (much longer and it starts to set)

  • Divide in two and colour half of it pink

  • Put the white mixture into a buttered dish and then pour the pink onto the top

  • Let it set and then cut into squares.

It's very sweet, but it's very delicious.

Today I'm Loving...an idea from Silver Pebble which I found via Sandie. It's called Passing a Book On . I'm thinking we should start a chain right here.


13 comments:

Cheri said...

the exact reason I am actually happy that all my girls managed to be taller than me!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Tall is good! Brave is even better! Now DS Henry can and will take care of the occasional spider that scurries across the ceiling!
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

I am constantly thankful for my tall offspring....even the top kitchen cupboards are hard for me to reach!!
No washing machine is not good though.
I used to love making coconut ice with the kids...can't remember the last time though.

debs14 said...

coconut ice - yum. And this seems easy to make too .... must add to 'to do' list!
Our fuse box is at ceiling height in the garage, right next to the 'up and over' door. When a light bulb trips the switch, it is impossible to reset if there is a car in the garage. Unless you balance on a box, leaning back on the wheel arch of the car and use a broom handle ;-)

Amanda said...

How come you're always cooking up something naughty (but nice!) in your house :-)

I love the idea of passing a book on along with a little something nice. A good way of introducing someone to your own favourite read or finding new ones along the way.

Scrappi Sandi said...

Mmmmm....coconut ice...but I will resist as I'd be the one eating it & that'd be noooo good at all!!!!

Maybe we should start a book chain...I'm never without a book on the go & tend to give them away to friends or the charity shop when I'm done. I'm sure we could come up with a system of passing books around among ourselves...with or without a little something extra thrown in!!

Rachel said...

As I am the tallest person in our house, I have a chair at the ready when I need to reach the fuse box. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my boys grow really tall.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Yummy!!! And funny little story about your Tall One. ;o)xo

alexa said...

That coconut ice looks delicious! It's years since I made this ... Thank-you for the reminder!

Amy said...

Thank goodness for TTO!

Jennifer Grace said...

you are such a temptress Sian, you're always making me want sugary food! Good job I'm not on my diet anymore!

I like the idea of a book swap, I LOVE books. I run a course called 'for the love of books', when I spend a weekend stroking, reading, and trying to recreate books! xx

humel said...

Tall One to the rescue! :-) And hooray for cooking yummy treats, so much better than doing laundry xx

PS I love the idea of a book chain! I'd so be up for that :-)

Carrie said...

Looks good! TFS! Book chain sounds fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails