Wednesday 22 October 2014

Compositional Scrapbooking

....which is a fancy name for a bit of fun. Fun with a point, though. It definitely has a point. Anything you can do which will add to the meaning of what you are trying to convey when you are scrapbooking has to be a good thing, right?

Sian Fair for Get It Scrapped

Sooo if you have a photo which is all about place, the theory is that your story will have more punch if you can grab that place and spread it all over your layout. Put the place in the composition.

That could be by scrapbooking on a map, maybe, or by taking the background elements in your picture and extending them over your page in your embellishment choices, or by replicating the setting of your photos right across your layout. 

So here she is, that girl of ours, at Universal Studios. Did Judy Garland ever pile her suitcases up at a bus stop and sit, ready to leave town? I don't know. And I don't know why I thought of Judy Garland when I asked The (Not So) Small One to pose. I knew she'd get it though, that look I was after. As I snapped, I realised what perfect pictures they were to mark her summer. She's not quite ready to leave us yet; but she's certainly getting ready to consider it. A summer of transition.

And when I printed out the photos and Get It Scrapped asked me to get all compositional, I took the story from the setting. We'd simply been playing about on a film set at the beginning. It was only after I'd taken a few pictures that I realised I'd been telling the story unconsciously. Through her summer of choices she has been writing her own script, doing it her way, and it took a set of fake suitcases and a model bus stop to show me just how well she can do it too.

Suitcases, waiting for a bus to a whole new life? It's a film set, so I edited my photos to get an old film look, layered up old book pages to look like piles of scripts and papers on a director's desk and added a bow in a 1940's print. Because if Judy Garland did sit at a bus stop? she probably wore a frock.


You can find more ideas for Scrapbook Storytelling When Setting Is Key at Get It Scrapped

26 comments:

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

What a gorgeous photo of your girl. Loving that title and all the "supporting roles" for your leading lady.

Lesley G said...

A fabulous layout, muted colours apart from that lovely yellow and blue and that bow is just gorgeous!

doris sander said...

LOVE this! especially that title!

Jennifer Shaw said...

An amazing page and an amazing photo. Love the story here. They grow up so quickly but it is a wonderful feeling to watch them grow into adulthood.

Nathalie said...

Everything about this page is so great! I love all the meanings behind it and the title rocks! Two thumbs up!

Sandra said...

Everything and I mean everything I love. From the blog post, the layout and that gorgeous photo.

Ruth said...

Clever, and I like how you've made me look beyond the photo for the background story. :)

Susanne said...

Oh nicely done, right down to the little stars, you've captured a bit of Hollywood there.

Ali said...

Great post! Great layout and story behing it x

Sandie said...

Everything about your post is great Sian, the photo, story, layout. You get it so right, just like your girl!

Unknown said...

It's so exciting watching them grow and surprise us. I was so worried about their teenage years and thought they would just be the rocky road you hear about. I have found it to be just amazing seeing their adult personalities emerge in surprising ways. Of course there are the odd bumps to be navigated but much, much more interesting things most of the time.

Love your layout and of course the glamorous shot :-)

smcl said...

Great LO! Every little piece.
Wonderful story & awesome realization.

Lizzy Hill said...

Way neat! LOOVE the idea behind your page ....& the touch of blue is inspired....& the AWESOME bg paper, too:):):)))

Cheri said...

You have such an incredible knack for making every little bit in your layouts count toward the story you are telling. This one is fantastic!

KraftyKaren said...

Fab layout and I love the big long title, it just fits perfectly and doesn't detract from the photos

scrappyjacky said...

Love the page....and what a great title.

Lou said...

I love the way you've put your page together. The old pages peeping out and the huge title x x

Barbara Eads said...

Great idea!! I love the little bus ticket and the post card---perfect touches. Yes, she looks like she's ready to embark upon her future!!

Alison said...

Love the idea behind your layout Sian...and the layout itself!
Alison xx

Becky said...

Wonderful photo and great story behind the layout.

Karen said...

Your attention to detail blows me away time after time. I love so much about this (including the very apt journaling), but the layered photos are something I don't think I would ever think to do, but I'm pinning this so I don't forget.

Jo said...

Great layout and lovely title.

Melissa said...

I do think you've conveyed the feeling of the photos perfectly with your layout & it does appear she's getting ready to move on in the coming years.

alexa said...

Gosh, she is growing up so fast - very much the young woman here, with the world at her feet :). I love your use of yellow and neutrals here. Almost looks like grey from a distance ... and I think we both love that colour? Beautifully composed - the photo, your thoughts, and your lovely daughter.

Lea Lacoste said...

BIG TITLES for the win!! I love everything about that layout. and story. need to grab some yellow alphas now!

Anonymous said...

What a terrific layout and such hidden meanings that popped out at you when looking at them. Hard to believe she's looking at higher education options already.

Related Posts with Thumbnails