Monday 22 May 2017

Memos, Mail, Me: Do You Come Here Often?


Monday: I'm not seeing it. It's supposed to be the warmest day of the year so far here today; and I'm waiting...but until I can take off my sweater and go out into the garden, let's talk weekends and mail and making a memo.

Saturday morning, I was sitting at the kitchen table, wondering what I might write about once the weekend was done. The mail last week hadn't offered much. So I picked up our local City Council magazine which comes through the door once a month. It tells us what's on about the place, if there any new arrivals at the zoo, the latest astounding visitor numbers for the Titanic Exhibition, all of that. I flipped through it, I set down my knitting and I put on my coat. Let's get out and about! I said. Any ideas? Somewhere not too far, somewhere I've never been? And The Accountant said Trust me. And drove.



We went out of town, into the country close to where he grew up, past a patchwork of fields and hedges all frilled in white; and then we pulled up outside a large red building, almost a barn, but not quite.

The Rinkha? I said. The Rinkha! he nodded. Now here's your new fact for the weekend (though maybe you are way ahead of me and know this already): "rinkha" is an old Irish word which roughly translated means "place of mirth and merriment". I'd heard him talking about this place for years. It sounded like a cross between Santa's workshop and Rudolph's holiday stop off: a magical combination of toyshop and icecream kiosk, out on its own, with fields all around. 



The Accountant held up his hands. He hadn't known if it was really still there, he admitted, he'd heard a rumour about apartments, and then he started rummaging in his pockets and counting his icecream money. I ate my rum n raisin at a table inside and as I licked I looked at the display on the wall and it all became clear. The Rinkha had been a ballroom, hugely popular when showbands were the thing round here. When I was at school I had a friend whose Dad had been in a showband, had even made it into the charts, and sure enough, there was his picture. I ate the end of my cone, I wondered if it was too late to learn how to jitterbug, and then we had to go



onwards to the beach and then home in time for tea. How about you? Maybe your mail sent you on a trip this weekend too? Anything interesting? We'd love to hear about it! You could make a memo!


Last time  Alex, Deb, Ruth, Barbara, Mitra, Honore, Mary-Lou, Maggie, Ladkyis, Melissa and Karen shared a bit about what they'd been up to. Go on, give 'em a wave! And have a great week!

18 comments:

Julie Kirk said...

When my friends and I go to stay in the cottage, close by, deep in the dales, there's a replica 1950s American style diner, on a site which must have been a farm once, and there's at least one other ice-cream parlour in the depths of the countryside too - which always seemed a little out of place. But they seem to make more sense to me now in light of the rinkha!

I can't remember the last interesting post that landed on my mat either - does the latest Radio Times count?

Have a lovely fresh week ahead. x

Patio Postcards said...

Now that was an adventure! Your Accountant does know how to show a girl a good time. The drive, the place of interest, a beach visit & ice cream! What I like most is he had an idea, a plan ... we spend so much of time wasted in "what do you want to do, I don't know what do you want to do?" The signs make me chuckle. Happy week ahead.

Maggie said...

I do like that photo taken through the life ring. I could be copying that idea. Now there aren't many ice creams I don't like but rum n raisin.... oh and coconut! Sounds an interesting place and fancy seeing your friend's dad's picture .

Jane said...

that sounds like a fun place, life is never dull in your family!

Ruth said...

I agree that TA knows how to show a girl a good time! Sounds like you had a marvellous day!

Jennifer Shaw said...

Sounds like a really fun outing. The last minute plans are always the best. Our local "Ice Cream Shack" has opened up and we have been going far too often. It's Mint Chocolate Chip for me and Mocha Mud Pie for Rob.

debs14 said...

Impromptu, spontaneous outings often turn up trumps! I'm so pleased it was still there, how disappointing it would have been if there had just been a block of flats in its place. I think I'd have chosen salted caramel for my flavour (if they had it) it's always so tough to make a decision when given a choice!

alexandra s.m. said...

I always learn something new and interesting thanks to you Sian!
It sounds like you had a fun week-end and I also think it is marvelous your Accountant had a plan and carried it through!
Have a beautiful week!
xx

Jo said...

I was caught out by the weather today, it was dull when I let home so I wore a very thin jumper and then it was 25 degrees for the rest of the day! That really does sound like a magical place to visit :)

Missus Wookie said...

What a nice adventure - the Accountant does know you well. Not much interesting arriving in my physical mailbox recently. But I'm always up for a road trip and ice cream :)

Susan said...

What a fun little excursion and how nice to revisit We had a mini heat wave here last week (much too hot, much too early for me) and are busy anticipating a long weekend followed by a vacation at the start of June.

Alison said...

It sounds as if it would have been a fun place in it's day...though eating ice cream surrounded by all that memorabilia sounds pretty fun to me! Xx

Mitralee said...

I am 100% positive you guys have better ice cream flavors than we have here! NICE MEMO!! Made me so happy to read!

Karen said...

It's so very strange. I read your blog post yesterday, and thought I had written a comment---must have been only in my mind! I love spur-of-the-moment mini-road trips. And it looks like yours was fun and interesting to boot! I'm ready to a trip to an ice cream parlor at very short notice!

Barbara Eads said...

I love that the ice cream shop kept the memorabilia from the Rinkha. What a great way to pay homage to the past. I am always so fascinated by places like that. I can just picture all the fun that went on there. Those signs look too old for your accountant to have experienced the Rinkha first hand.

alexa said...

I didn't know about the Rinkha, but it sounds right up my street too. Rum and Raisin would be Himself's choice :). Spur of the moment things can be just the ticket. Really enjoyed reading your post!

Melissa said...

Oh, it sounds like a lovely day trip! We're planning to get out & about tomorrow -no real direction, just a little drive . . . somewhere. Hope you have a great weekend!

Majortotosite Pro said...

However I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thank you 메이저사이트

Related Posts with Thumbnails