Wednesday 12 April 2017

Building Bricks: a Scrapbook Page


When Get It Scrapped asked me for a page on which I had combined some embellishments in stacks, I had all kinds of ideas -3D flowers, maybe, or butterflies with decorated wings - but as I flipped through my photos I thought the best plan might be to find a picture in which "stacks" had some real meaning. And then I found one of the Berlin Wall.


I have already scrapbooked a sizeable number of my Berlin photos. But those ones of the wall: I keep picking them up and setting them back down again. I remember the night the wall was breached. I remember a little of the before and more of the after and I understand, now, that what I knew was not nearly enough. 

We stood beside one of the remaining sections last summer and the tour guide began to unpick its story for us; and if I were being fanciful I might say that it felt a little as if he wanted to hand us brick after brick so that we might build up our own understanding of what it had been like, before everything changed.


So I stacked up bricks with my embellishments, with the result that I saved the journaling for another page (of course I have more pictures). The layers do a fine job, I hope, of illustrating how it felt to be there, in 2016, with so much to discover.

More ideas for combining embellishments here at Get It Scrapped

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Nice layout - I really like the book embellishment against the photo which ties the words.

Jennifer Shaw said...

Love how you took the challenge one step further and the meaning of this LO. Beautiful design. I love the framed border effect and those small stacks of embellishments are both beautiful and meaningful.

Becky said...

Great layout :)

Honoré said...

I was in Berlin for a few hours in the mid-80s and did get a long-ish view of the wall...your LO is an excellent interpretation of "stacks" and an era long gone---one hopes---tho', who knows these days what might happen next.
Cheers~

Karen said...

As you often do, you've created a wonderful layout with many layers of meaning.

Susan said...

A beautiful, colorful and hopeful page - love the stacked papers and embellishments under the photo.

Maggie said...

I like the comparison. Visiting some of these places is undoubtedly an emotional experience. I recall a friend having a tiny piece of the wall that someone had given her. A tiny symbol of so much hope for the future.

Jo said...

A great page and a great use of the prompt "stacks" :)

Ladkyis said...

I remember when the wall was built. I remember my father's face when he turned to my mother and said, bitterly
"I lost my bloody leg for that to happen?"
Then he regained his iron control and changed the subject.
His joy when it came down was wonderful. He rang me, something he always left to my mother, and said "Are you watching? the wall is coming down! at last, at last"

You certainly know how to get my memories bubbling to the surface young lady. I am going to have to add this to my album of memories of my father

Lizzy Hill said...

Great 'bricks'....but all I could think of was the Pink Floyd song. How's that for a no-music gal? I think it was the 'protest' of it that I liked...we don't need no education....all in all, it's just another...brick in the wall. I feel sad for all the walls going or gone up when they should all be done. The West Bank, now Mexico. And others we don't really know much about, but are there, I'm sure:) Glad at least one is gone....

Melissa said...

A perfect photo and idea for the stacked embellishments.

We saw a piece of the Berlin Wall at Ronald Reagan's Presidential Library & Museum last year - it was gifted to him. Like you, I remember some of the before & a lot of the after.

Linda said...

What a great page! I love the way you have interpreted the idea of stacks! I've always wanted to go to Berlin, now you've made me want to go even more. X

alexa said...

Very neat idea - your little stack of books, and the stacks of paper behind your 'bricks'? Perfection - sigh!

alexandra s.m. said...

I love it!!

Ruth said...

Love this, just about perfect in every way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails