Thursday 12 June 2014

Scrapbooking Supplies First

The day I decided that I'd like to start scrapbooking, I went to our local craft shop and I stood in front of the tiny stand of papers for I think probably about two hours, and I chose some things, brought them home and began cutting. But then I decided I didn't have exactly what I needed, so I looked online and bought a few more things, and - you can fill in the rest. Like almost every scrapbooker on the planet I now have plenty.

Very often there'll be the leftovers from several projects sitting on my desk when I go to begin my next project. But I like it like that. I don't tidy too  much because I love to have my favourite pieces where I can see them, so that I can squeeze them onto a layout again soon.

From High In The Sky scrapbooking with a product driven process for Get It Scrapped

This one started with that little wooden album cover from Jenni Bowlin. When I saw that it was stamped with "Made with Love" I knew I wanted to make a page about one of my craft projects; and when I looked round at the other bits and pieces on my desk, I realised that the colours all fitted with my crochet blanket. So I did a crochet layout to record my new found love of yarn hookery. You could call it a chain reaction.


There is journaling under the album cover which is hinged and fixed to the page with some of the wool I've been using. It's in exactly the same colours as the paper I've been buying: house decorating, crafting, taking photographs, I lean towards the same look.


Maybe you're the same? Or completely different? Is your house decorated with the same shades you dress in, or make stuff with?

For more thoughts on starting with the supplies before the story, see Scrapbooking Process When Your Starting Point is Product over at Get It Scrapped

23 comments:

helena said...

love that you were able to include some of the wool (one disadvantage of digi scrapping). Colourful and the red / purple /orange range dominate all aspects of my life - quite spooky, even for me, when I pulled a purple and red pattern notebook from my purple bag and then a purple pen, while wearing purple and red clothes

Jane said...

I'm like you too!

scrappyjacky said...

My home is definately decorated in similar shades to those that I make stuff with.....my clothes not so much....I have a lot of green in my home and makes....but rarely wear green.
This is such a great layout.

debs14 said...

I've never really thought about whether or not I wear my furnishing colours! We seem to go for neutrals or duck egg blue in the house, and whilst I did have the same choice for clothes one year, this year,not so much. I seem to have a certain colour each year that I gravitate towards. This year it seems to be anything in the Boden catalogue ;-)

Ruth said...

My house is painted in neutral colours, with lots of pale yellow. I, however, am wearing much brighter colours!
I put my scraps into a box and then forget about them. My OCD tendencies don't allow me to leave them out on show!

Lou said...

You are right, I think the colours around the home are reflected in the layouts I make. a wonderful page and that little book is perfect x

Jimjams said...

I love terracotta for the house and blues for me - great page - love that title!

Beverly said...

Love that you pulled these elements together for a layout and love the "chain reaction"!

Barbara Eads said...

I love all the little bits and pieces you use on your pages. That little record is darling! To answer your question, my favorite color is pink. I wear it a lot. My scrapbook room is pink but that's it. I rarely use pink in my scrapbooking. My "go to" colors for that are green and blue. My house is decorated in those colors too.

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a wonderful gathering of embellishments. i love this.
Rinda

Missus Wookie said...

Cool use of that album cover and I like that you were able to include the wool.

I was thinking that I don't scrap with much blue (from the amount of blue cardstock I have) but I wear jeans almost all the time. I think of them as a neutral tho', so perhaps I need to work out a way to use up the cardstock that way too?

Julie Kirk said...

I love that you scrap for you, about you. And this is a lovely page - lots to look at and it's nice to hear the story behind your choices too.

Yes, I use the colours of my house in my crafting. Much of the house is neutral, brown, grey, white ... and I'm an absolute fiend for papers in those colours. And on my work room floor right now is a kit + journal project I've been working on in those colours ... plus the exact shades of turquoise I have on my living room rug!

When I'm making up kits for other people I always have to keep in mind that it's not for me ... and not just do the same thing over and over!

:-)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely page and such bright colours - gorgeous. I love layouts that record everyday events.

stephanie said...

Great use of the album cover. I'd be too scared to use.something so bulky.

Nathalie said...

This is such a fabulous and eye-catching layout!!! I love all the layering of tidbits and the way you worked the title! As a kit designer, i often start with products rather than photo or idea ;)

Becky said...

This is a wonderful layout and I love the idea for the journalling. My house is NOT decorated in the colours I dress in!

Amy said...

Out of interest Sian, I'd love to see a top view of your albums to see how your pages fit - along with that, how many pages would you fit in an album? Just asking because often your pages are quite textural :)

Melissa said...

All those leftover bits & pieces do work perfectly together on this layout!

alexa said...

What a very sweet little book you"ve made :). Your additional bits and pieces suit your wool perfectly. Am liking the diamonds a lot :), just peeping out like that. Colours at home? Well, this year I seem to have gone a bundle on a soft duck-egg blue/very pale and muted sea green. Our bedroom had always been like this but now the summerhouse is, and half my clothes are!

Sandra said...

I think I'm very much drawn to similar colours for decorating and crafting .... And probably clothing too.

Karen said...

Everything about this layout is clever from it's inception to the final product!

Jo said...

Another great layout, I love the title x

Anonymous said...

Not so much - the house is basically painted in all neutral colours as is some of the furniture while I really like blues to dress in. But the house is due for some redecorating so we shall see.
Love the layout and you calling crochet hookery just reminded me of a story about John's Aunt I'll have to share sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails