Saturday 28 September 2013

Let's Sit and Have a Cup..


It's my pleasure today to be joining in with Abi and Let's Sit and Have a Cup

Come in! Come in! if you think  it looks like I've just taken off my coat and got here myself, you'd be right. I ran out to buy us some buns. Of course I came back with doughnuts - they're our favourite. Round here we call them "gravy rings": always ring shaped, never with a filling. A special local treat. And if you are also just about to say - Sian, you are looking a bit pale, have you been taking your vitamins? Well, apart from sounding like my Mum - all the time - you'd be sounding like everyone I met when I was out. It's true we've all been laid low this week, and the one before that, let's be honest; but we're feeling fitter now. That I'd -really-rather-be-in-bed feeling is disappearing. Sooo, I don't think we're going to pass on anything horrible. make yourself at home!

We've been a pretty quiet three, then, since we got back from leaving one to Scotland. How's he doing? He's fine and dandy, as far as we can tell (and judging by facebook..). Doing his own laundry, making full use of the all- you- can- eat catering. Back home, the washing doesn't take as long and the shopping trolley definitely isn't as full. Still have to watch a lot of rugby matches on TV, though. That one hasn't disappeared.

So, I've been knitting. Let me call The (Not So) Small One to show you her fox hat. I finished it up this week, from a book called Animal Hats by Vanessa Mooncie. Next on my list? A monkey hat for Little E. With tassels.


Yes, I've been printing out a stack of photos you can have a flip through if you like: some of the sights from Scotland - great street theatre - and the first sighting here of our autumn pumpkin patch. The (Not So) Small One took a photo of the heart eggs her dad fried for her as a surprise last weekend.

Maybe you've brought some pictures to show me too? have another gravy ring - they're much nicer when they're fresh - and tell me about your plans for the weekend. We're off to see if we can find any late blackberries..

..but it's nearly October, so we might be out of luck. Nearly October? That's my cue to remind you that it's Storytelling Sunday next week. I'm thinking of something to go with the darker evenings, maybe something with a bit of mystery? something with a story of its own to tell? No, I'm not going to tell you what mine is just yet, so I'm going to bustle you out the door before you start casting your eye around and guessing. It's been lovely to catch up. See you again soon?

26 comments:

Miriam said...

Thank you Sian and the gravy rings (I thought at first it was gravy things! were delicious. I remember so well that feeling of the washing machine resting, the supermarket shop smaller and quicker. I'm sorry that you have all been below par, hope you feel better this morning. I love your collage.

debs14 said...

Sorry to hear you've been poorly, it's the Uni people who are supposed to get fresher's flu, not the family left behind! I've never heard of those doughnuts being called gravy rings, they certainly taste better than their name!
Can't wait to see Little E's hat I'm sure he'll be a perfect model for it.

Abi said...

Thank you for that lovely cup of tea and gravy rings. I have never heard of that name for them before! I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling great but am so pleased to hear that all is well in scotland! I have the same book for knitting hats as you do. I haven't tried any yet as they all look so wonderful and I can't decide which one to do first!

Kirsty.A said...

Thanks for the tea. Not a fan of doughnuts though. Glad to hear the Tall One is settling well. Look forward to your story next week. I love a good mystery

helena said...

what a fabulous hat and looking forward to seeing the monkey one too. sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly. I'm just back from visiting some Doors Open venues and enjoying the unexpected sunshine

Jennifer Shaw said...

Love these posts! Gravy rings sound really good right about now! Your fox hat is amazing and I am looking forward to seeing the monkey hat for Little E. Glad you are all feeling better now. It is that time of year where the bugs start flying around. Last year I didn't get so much as a cold so this year I am bound to catch something.

Lou said...

ooh two gravy rings..you're spoiling us. Glad to read you are feeling better..everyone here has been feeling a little under the weather this past week. I'm sure its all the germs they've picked up going back to school. Loving the fox hat - see you next Sunday x

Susanne said...

It was lovely catching up. Glad you are feeling better - perhaps a little bit of missing him blues was tied into the illness as well. Glad to hear he is doing well too. And I'm also glad I'm not close enough to have gravy rings - that would not be good for my chances of fitting into last fall's blue jeans.

Alison said...

Glad to hear things are going well in Scotland...lo cel to catch up,
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you and yours have been unwell lately but I'm glad to know everyone is on the mend.

I'm intrigued by gravy rings and wondering if they are the same as U.S. doughnuts. Do you suppose they are called gravy rings because they trap the (yummy) glaze that is poured over them? Krispy Kreme was the rage a few years ago when they went public, but I've always preferred Dunkin' Donuts' cake doughnuts (chocolate, pumpkin, cinnamon--I like them all!).

Take care and continue to feel better.

boysmum2 said...

Don't you feel proud when you know he is managing his own laundry?? I love doughnuts and do miss the ones from England as we just don't have them like that here in NZ. Thanks for sharing with us

Sandie said...

Hope you are all feeling better soon Sian, love the hat!

Barbara Eads said...

Perhaps part of your "not feeling quite right" could be that fact that you've taken the tall one off to university. It's harder than you think it's going to be. The house and grocery "trolley" will seem pretty empty for awhile, but you'll get used to it. You'll adjust to a whole new kind of normal. And it will be okay!!

Lisa-Jane said...

What a fantastic hat! I love it! I was thinking about your young man in Scotland and wondering about washing and the like... as you do....

scrappyjacky said...

Thanks for the tea and do hope you're soon feeling 100%.
Love the hat....look forward to seeing Little E's one.
We've been blackberry picking today....to mix with apples from the garden...and freeze for winter crumbles.

Karen said...

I've never heard of doughnuts referred to as gravy rings. I can't quite make sense of the name. I hope you'll soon be 100%, and I'm glad to hear the Tall One has adjusted nicely. I think it's harder for the ones at home to adjust to the absence! Thanks for the catch-up! How can next Sunday be October already?

Prairie Jill said...

Thank you for the tea and gravy rings! It was so nice meeting you, and I loved seeing your knitting and your photgraphs! I can't wait for next month!

Becky said...

Sorry to hear that you have all been poorly, but glad that you are on the mend. I love the hat! I really wanted to get back into knitting, but it resurrected my tennis elbow and I just can't do it - makes me very sad! Looking forward to Storytelling Sunday, although at the moment I haven't a clue what I am going to write about!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Glad to hear you are all feeling better & he is settling in at uni. Love the hat!

Gravy rings, where I live, are spiral cut fried potatoes served with a meaty (sausage or chipped beef usually) gravy. So I can't help but imagine you dipping your doughnut into gravy.

Beverly said...

hmmm the whole reason they are called gravy rings may be an additional post with a photo :) So glad TTO has settled well. Sorry to hear all those left behind have been ill. The fox hat is spectacular!

alexa said...

Now there is an amazing hat! That must take some very complex pattern-following, Sian. And so sory to read you have been under the weather ( now there's a curious expression!) and hope very much you will soon be fine again. Ah yes, gravy rings! I remember those :).

Sandra said...

What a welcome, donuts (without jam) and flicking through photos, oh I'm in heaven x

Maria Ontiveros said...

I'd have lots of photos to show you, too. Mostly of the girl running and a few of Oregon. I would giggle and tell you that I just told Henry this morning that I miss him, but that I have noticed that I have A LOT less laundry to do now. My boy is also doing well, though I think he finds the rain a bit depressing. I know we would have a lot to share if we could just but sit together for a while.
Rinda

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Thank you for the coffee and doughnuts! *licking fingers*
My own (Not so) Small one would love that hat! She is very much into foxes and kitties in her clothing. :D
Our Tall one has chosen a Uni near his grandma´s house so he can stay there when classes finish too late. My mom is already running around as a headless chicken although we still have a few months to go. ;)

Jo said...

It was lovely to share this moment with you and hear all of your news x

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you've all been feeling under the weather but glad to hear the Tall One is settling in well. Good luck to him this year. Gravy ring? I haven't heard of that one before. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails