Saturday 5 March 2011

Five Random Things About Me

Dedicated to the lovely bloggers Carmen, Kelli, RachelB, Sandie and Sandra who have very kindly passed on blogging awards to me recently. Thank you. And while we're on the subject, I'd also like to thank  every single one of you who comes back here week after week to see what we've been up; and every follower whose smiling face makes me grin every time I go to post. You are very much appreciated.

So, the facts:

  1. I was due to be born on my Grandma's birthday, but I was ten days late. The Accountant, who is five days older than me, actually was born on his Grannie's birthday.
  2. When I was fourteen I spent two weeks living with a French family in the beautiful cathedral town of Chartres. No English speaking allowed. The thought of doing it now scares the living daylights out of me.
  3. The first time I ever went to the cinema I saw Bugsy Malone and it's still a favourite of mine. I'd still love the chance to drive one of those pedal cars.
  4. When I was six I told everyone in school I was going to Sweden for my holidays. I wasn't, but I was fed up hearing about where everyone else was going and thought I would wow them with an exotic choice. This plan backfired when the teacher asked my mum about her interesting holiday. This year I will come the closest I've ever been - we are going to Norway.
  5. I learned to drive when I was seventeen and I was still driving the same little car I passed my test in when we drove off for our honeymoon. Several years after that, I saved it from being stolen one night when I woke to the sound of breaking glass, looked out the bedroom window and saw two lads breaking into my car. I ran downstairs, out the front door and stood in the street yelling at them until they got out and ran away. I now realise that was probably a very stupid thing to do. But I did still have my car..


Storytelling Sunday tomorrow! I hope I'll see you there.

20 comments:

helena said...

I Love Bugsy Malone - the song at the end 'We could have been anything we wanted to be' is such an uplift - foudn it on Youtube and listening as I type http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA_0cvd1EUM

Ann said...

You made me smile Sian with your tale of being caught out lying! I never could tell a lie and still can't.

furrypig said...

I love the story andthe photograph of your car (great shot beside the sea!) I think there is a scrapbook page there!

Amy said...

I used to have a thing for Sweden too ... Norway, that's exciting! A girlfriend of mine married a Norwegian and she is living there at the moment, I think you'll enjoy yourself :-)

Naomi said...

Had to laugh at your Sweden comment! I told everyone for years my mum was giving me a sibling ... then of course when it finally happened (8 years later) no-one really gave a damn - they'd heard all my 'make-up' stories. Guess when you're an only child for 8 years you have to make your own fun!

JO SOWERBY said...

ah splurge guns, i loved those and wanted one of those cars to drive around in. loving the image of u chasing after scarey car nappers, glad ur still in one piece. would love to see the wedding dress photo sometime. might be late for story telling tomorrow as out in southampton, but i will have an idea to write about then
Jo xxxx

Cheri said...

All great stories, but I love the language immersion one. I've never done anything like that. Sarah has been in Barcelona since Wednesday and using her Spanish a lot since most people there do not speak English. She had an issue while sight-seeing of her flats rubbing her heel raw and needed a band-aid. Amazingly enough, she knew how to ask for it IN SPANISH! Seems so random to me, but definitely a phrase she would need.

scrappyjacky said...

Love that you saved your car, Sian!!!Amazing how we do that sort of 'thoughtless' thing.

Melissa said...

Wow, some interesting info in today's post - two weeks of no English (sounds scary to me, too) and shouting at car thieves!

laurie said...

so fun to learn more about you, sian. you deserve the awards you received - i love your blog and all your interesting stories.

Jennifer Shaw said...

Fun post! Great to learn a bit more about you. :)

Lizzie said...

Some great "things I didn't know" here, Sian!

I certainly won't borrow anything of yours without asking - you might chase after me in your pj's, shouting! You should make a scrapbook page about that car story - with the fab photo of your car leaving for your honeymoon. It would be great!

I bet your granny was fed up that you were 10 days late - did she ever forgive you? And The Accountant must have been his granny's blue-eyed-boy! My niece managed to arrive the day before her grandma's birthday (my mum); they always have a joint celebration and share a cake.

I never went on a French exchange visit, but DS went off with his school last year, for a week in a Chateau; it was an education centre, run by French people and the children had a fab activity holiday - where only French was spoken all week. They baked bread - in French, did climbing, cycling, walking, archery etc - in French and went on trips to Mont Saint Michel and the local market - where only French was spoken to them. He had a brilliant time and it did wonders for his confidence. I wonder if you had a similar experience?

And I've always had a secret yen for a splurge gun, Sian...

Kirsty.A said...

Great 5 things. My son told his drama teacher we were doing to Madrid for the weekend. He meant Dulwich!

Sandra said...

Its lovely to learn a little more about you - and I smile as I can vision you shouting to save your car, and sorry a little giggle came out, at you getting caught in a little fib :)

It's always a true pleasure when I see you've blogged.

humel said...

Congrats on your well-deserved awards :-) Always lovely to get to know you better - I can't wait to hear more about your trip to Norway, wow!

The Boy was due round about The Doctor's birthday, and the latter panicked that they might be on the same day - he SAID because it would be hard on the child to share a birthday with his/her dad, but I think secretly he wanted to keep his birthday all for himself..... ;-)

Amanda said...

Is that a brown vauxhall Nova Sian? It certainly looks like one, spooky, I had one exactly the same and it was always getting broken into.

Sian said...

Yes, it certainly is Amanda! I loved that car. James did buy me a "crook-lock" for it - remember those? But it wasn't much help obviously

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great facts Sian -
1. My birthday is one week after my little sister's bday and two weeks before my big sister and little brother (approximately).
2. My first car was a 1963 Valiant Station Wagon which was (eventually) stolen and then used in a robbery. Kindof rediculous because it was far from reliable.
3. I made up a boyfriend once - but never a holiday.
4. The first movie I saw in a cinema (I think) was The Poseidon Adventure.
5. When I was in grade school, my parents sent my sister and I to spend the summer in Houston, Texas, with all our relatives. It was a big adventure, with intermittant periods of sheer boredom and grand parties.
Rinda (who might just choose one of those for Storytelling Sunday)

alexa said...

I love these intriguing glimpses into your life :). Funny how we do such daring things when we're younger which would give us such pause for thought now!

Anonymous said...

What an interesting 5 new things we learned about you. Your story about saving the car - I could actually picture it. Now 2 weeks with no English - scary. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails