Tuesday 23 November 2010

A Christmas Catch All

I'm opening up the doors and letting Christmas in completely at High In The Sky. Over the weekend I sewed two of the three felt ornaments from this years Rosy Little Things kit. The final one - a cross stitched grey mitten - uses waste canvas, and I've come a bit unstuck with it. I know the theory, it's just the practice. I think I need more.



I love the grey, red and white colour scheme (and especially that red felt coat. I'd like a grownup version, please). It seems very fresh this year, like the new Jenni Bowlin line I'm hoping will arrive here soon.

As you can probably tell, I'm having a bit of a fling with felt at the moment. I found these you might like:

(See also here, if you missed my felt-y links a couple of weeks ago)

And I've been eyeing up some sturdy shoe-coloured pieces because, as a couple of you suggested on Sunday, those children need a new home. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Christmas Club this week; and I'm delighted that so many of you are thinking of joining in. I'm going to see if I can add a linky thing so that you can add your own posts next week.

But, please. No stress. A simple memory of a treasured moment is more than good enough. Maybe it's happy, maybe it's poignant. Most celebrations in most houses are a mixture of both. And that's why it always bothers me a little when magazines urge us to have our "best Christmas ever". Surely it doesn't have to be that. All many of us hope for is a happy few hours with time for laughter and time for being quiet with people we love. So, when I'm choosing my gifts (and hoping they are the right ones); putting my turkey in the oven (and hoping it comes out nicely cooked); and setting out for a Carol Service (and hoping for the tunes I know the best), I'll be thinking about this:


It came to me as a giveaway gift recently from the lovely Laurie at One Black Bird. If you are getting ready for Thanksgiving or thinking ahead to Christmas, you might like to keep it in mind. And I'll see you back here very soon.

20 comments:

helena said...

oh yes love the coat and if I saw it in real size I'd have my credit card out so fast

Liberty :) said...

Thank you so much for your lovely happy birthday banner, I plan to do a proper thank you post on my blog but wanted to say thank you directly too - so cute and the wrapping was beautiful, really didnt want to unwrap it. Feel that ribbon might be getting incorporated into a page somewhere too!! ;)

Love that little coat a lot!!!

The single thing I love most about Christmas is that there is one common goal within everyone. I love that the shops are shut, I love that pubs only open for a short period and I love that 90% of people don't have to work. It feels so special.

Cheryl said...

yay for red coats :-)
your christmas enthusiasm is making me smile. i'm forbidden by my fiance from celebrating it until after his birthday (5 Dec) - which is fair, i guess. (glad he didn't stop me making cards!)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o) When I saw the cute little red coat I immediately thought, "I want one of those in my size!" Thanks for the fun felt links, Sian!

I love the framed piece you received, and your sentiments with it. A great reminder for all year, and especially during the holidays. xo

Carmen said...

The coat is cute but if we are talking real size versions I'll have your Coraline's yellow one :P

I may have to check out your felt links and I love your Christmas enthusiasm and the phrase to remember. To true - why does each year have to be better and better (and usually more money!) Pah to that I say.

JO SOWERBY said...

my mum and i saw a beautiful coat in m and s per una in red velvet yesterday, it was so gorgeous. maybe u could persuade the accountant the release some funds from gringotts to the natives for xmas.
thanx for the felt lovelies, ive managed to get the felt pattern with the skates and cup in, love it. looking forward to making some lush ornaments myself. bought felt yesterday too.
Jo xxx

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thanks for the reminder to not stress the season. I'd love to see a linky thing for Christmas club! Still holding off until after thanksgiving this weekend.
Rinda

alexa said...

That's a lovely and very stylish red coat! Am afraid I can never think about Christmas until about a week beforehand, and so am admiring your preparations... and happy to join in with the memories bit. Super idea.:)

Sian said...

Kate - I'm so glad you like your banner. And I completely agree - it's that common purpose about Christmas that I love too.

Anonymous said...

Many years ago when I was working full-time and had small children, I was getting really stressed about the holidays. My husband pointed out that I was the only one who cared that much about the cookies I was stressing over and it occurred to me that, yes, I do care about the cookies. And although I do it for friends and family, mostly I do it to keep one of my mother's traditions alive and well. Since then I've enjoyed the preparations, and if I begin to feel stressed, consider whether or not it matters to me. If it doesn't, I let it go!

Love the felt ornaments. I just finished a felt project a few days before I left for California. Will be up on the blog shortly. I, too, would have my credit card out in an instant for that red coat---my favorite color!

Amy said...

It is an important reminder to think about our families and a little less of the stress and the consumerism ... I think that is why I really enjoy the days after Christmas Day, they are far more relaxed and what the time of year is really about for me.

Latharia said...

What lovely felt creations!!! I don't think I have the eye or patience to make such things, but I'll enjoy watching yours come to fruition!! :D

Anonymous said...

Those are so adorable! I love the coat!

Cheryl said...

Ooo Sian it looks like a coat I want in real life it is so cute x

debs14 said...

So cute! When I was a little girl I loved the story books for The Borrowers and that coat looks like it would be perfect for a Borrower!

Rachel Brett said...

Oh my goodness, they are just adorable! I LOVE the little coat! Im off to look at the website, thanks for sharing Sian :)

Sandra said...

I just love your creations, and oohhh I'm so with you on wanting a coat like that to wear! Lots of people forget the joy of what christmas really is - you need to look at a childs face and see the smile at lights to realise it again. I agree, everyone puts such high hopes on it being perfet. I'm enjoying more that people are thinking what Christmas really means to them in this present climate.

laurie said...

i felt such joy seeing the sign i made displayed in your home! thank you for mentioning me (although you certainly didn't have to!)
you always seem to have the words we need to hear.
love the felt ornaments - they have such a cozy look.

humel said...

Mmmm, felt, yum :-) I want a coat like that, too!!

Now I have to check out your Christmas Club post....

Miriam said...

I love your post Sian and totally agree about best ever! I used to be so stressed that one year I was actually sick with it! no more. For me now, Christmas is about being together, time off, peace and quiet thoughts. Oh and that gorgeous red coat xxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails