Thursday 4 February 2010

It's The little Things

I've been coming across a few posts like this one lately. And I like the idea a lot. It's sort of the opposite of sweating the small stuff. It's about choosing to celebrate small successes instead of  searching for big ones. It's about quiet satisfaction with the little things in life. And that has to be good. I'll let you have my list of small successes in a minute, after I have a think about what the rest of the family might say if they were around and I could ask them.

The Tall One might say facing down the bowling machine at cricket or (possibly) making it into the house every day this week without my sister saying 'ooh your blazer smells of girls'.'Which is what she did last week
The Small One might say chipping a hole in my giant gobstopper  or (more likely) most of my successes are quite big actually. But thank you for asking.
Horsey did say oh, oh. I made it onto your blog again and you said that wouldn't happen for a very long time. Then he hopped off, whistling what sounded to me like "They're going to put me in the movies".

And me? I discovered that I could find the reset button on the central heating myself and that it was quicker and easier than hunting out a thermal vest; and I finished up the remains of my Studio Calico kit before the next one arrives. The little photos in the second page are printed with the Pogo Printer I got for Christmas. If you print small, bad photos don't look so bad. Really.

Oh, and to answer questions from my last post: the retro boy sticker is by October Afternoon (Report Card) and the tall red thing in The Tall One's room is for boxing against. It's better than aiming for your sister. Less hassle.



25 comments:

Kim Winter said...

great layouts, thanks for sharing. The small things are the things that make up life. I agree they need to be recorded. Love your posts as always!!

scrappyjacky said...

Love the 2 layouts,Sian.The small things are so important....yet I know I note the big things more often.
Are Horsey and The Small One related....they seem to have a similar take on life....or has one just learned from the other?

debs14 said...

Can we expect to see a remake of 'The Horsey Whisperer' in the near future? ;-)
Love the layouts and the suggestion about using small sized pics for not so brilliant photos, think I may be using that idea a lot!

Anonymous said...

Thaks for the info re the red boxing ball! Lovely post, as always, and love the Lo with the little photos on. Oodles of 'white' space - and you know how I love a LO with white space! :) alexa

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Fun post, Sian. :o) I like the idea of celebrating the small things...you have me thinking...

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Thanks for the link-up! I know I often end a week thinking "what happened? where did it all go? and what have I been doing?" I'm enjoying taking note as the week goes by of the things that have gone well. (I actually open a post in blogger and add to it each time I think "score!")

Amanda said...

Lovely Los Sian and I especially love 'Pose Please'

humel said...

Gorgeous layouts :-) I'm all for celebrating the little things, but this may be mainly because I don't achieve that many big things....!

Amy said...

I can only but imagine how my small one is going to torment her tall one ... she is off to a great start at three! He'll need some sort of punching apparatus I'm sure ....

Great pages by the way - I love these papers, are they all from the kit? Do you use kits often? I never have ... would you recommend?

Tinkertaylor said...

A great idea I'm just thinking of my own small achievements as I type. Say hi to Horsey

Catherine said...

Lovely sentiment in today's post. Your layouts are delightful as well.
Catherine, from Shimelle's class

ceruleanblue said...

Gorgeous layouts Sian, wish I could get my kiddliwinks to pose for the camera like that lol!! Love the idea of small successes too

Cheri said...

lovely layouts Sian - I really like the kind of watercolor effect to the papers and your "pose please" title. I'm also a huge fan of celebrating minor successes - I LOVE to cross stuff off my to do list, no matter how trivial!

Sandra said...

Such beautiful layouts :) ... and I couldn't agree more, it's the little things are that just so so important.

Scrappi Sandi said...

Gorgeous LO's..I love the reflection photo in the top one! I'm all for counting those little blessings..It's my life mantra! :)

VickiA said...

Ah, the small things in life. All too often I concentrate on the things I haven't done rather than those I have done. I think this needs to change. Loving the LO's.

tea_bag said...

Indeed its very true that the small things in life matter New to blogging myself and must say I love your blog it was a feast for my eyes

alma xx

tea_bag said...

Indeed its very true that the small things in life matter New to blogging myself and must say I love your blog it was a feast for my eyes

alma xx

Anne said...

I keep seeing these posts too. I may have to jump on this bandwagon!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to the "small things" post. Until yesterday, that's all I seemed to get done this week--very small things. I should celebrate them. I love both of your layouts. I subscribed to Studio Calico for several years, but the supplies seemed to pile up, and I just wasn't scrapping much for a while so I let it go. I don't think I ever created anything I liked as much as I like yours.

ScrappyDandyDoo said...

Ooooo Beautiful LO's :D
Julie xx

Carmen said...

It's the first time I've seen that mentioned and I have to say I love the idea. We all moan about what we haven't done but never stop and think about what we HAVE done. Hmm. I may just join you in this, even if I don't blog it - I could journal it in some form.

I love your page it looks so textural and feely.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Sian,
Your pages are always so lovely, and these are no exception! You seem to have already mastered and internalized the "spacious" and "golden" lessons from the Debbie Hodge class. I'm a much more "column" style scrapper, but I'm enjoying the challenge of other styles.
Rinda

Bubbles said...

Fab and gorgeous (as always!)... the colours you chose are so beautiful - the LO's are soft and eye-catching. I really love them both!

Carrie said...

Beautiful layouts! Love the pose please theme!

Related Posts with Thumbnails