Thursday 15 October 2015

Hello Fresh Air, I'll Be With You Shortly

A couple of weeks ago I posted answers to a few questions about my reading habits (here). Even as I was typing, I knew that I had a sequel which was really a prequel. It came first, my page I made for Get It Scrapped; but it had to stay under wraps (or maybe that should be "on the shelf" ?) until now.


From High In The Sky for Get It Scrapped
Life Pages card: Gossamer Blue; little houses paper I can't get enough of: Crate Paper "Wonder"

It didn't have to be a page about reading. It was actually made under the instruction to use a "go to fast composition". Well, if I'm looking for speed, I like to start with a stack of Life Pages cards from my Gossamer Blue kits. That's where I'll find an idea for a subject, or if I'm lucky, a title I can use, already printed. If I can't take my book, I'm not going. But you already knew that would come under a list of "phrases Sian is most likely to say".

chipboard: Crate Paper; deer button: MME

It's been true all my life. When I was a little girl I used to visit the library almost every other day during the school holidays, so I always had a new book to accompany me on my adventures; which, I have to admit, didn't often take me much further than the tent in the back garden. But that was enough. If I had a book. 

But, see, I did say "garden" there. I like fresh air. really, I do. But isn't it so much sweeter with a book? My Mum would put up with the tent reading: that was almost camping; and a book on the beach was acceptable too. But she did get cross the Sunday she drove us up to the mountains to visit the deer and take a bracing walk and she turned round to discover that I had smuggled a stack of magazines onto the back seat. I tried to tell her I could do both at once. She was unmoved. So were the pages in my Today's Guide (come on! I had knots to learn!). I had to get out and walk.

puffy stickers: Pinkfresh Studio

These days? Nothing much has changed. My family know better than to ask what I might have stashed in my oversized rucksack. They know what I'm going to say. I might be persuaded to leave out (one) book if I'm going to a museum - I know there'll be something there to cast my eye over, maybe a guidebook to acquire - but if it's an outside trip? Hello fresh air, I'll be with you shortly. Just a couple more sentences..

23 comments:

Susanne said...

Yes, that is a card I knew you could use on a page. I have to admit, I am a little more passive about reading books than you, though I do love them. But collecting books, I may have you beat. Well now, that's another story . . . hmmm . . . gotta go, I need to find a card for that story. Probably have collected one of those too!

Louise H said...

When I was younger I was never without a book, having 3 children under 3 took me out of the habit of reading (sleep was a priority back then) and I just don't read enough now. I don't think I was ever quite as keen as your were - but the idea of smuggling magazines into the car made me smile.
The page is lovely - I do particularly like the doodling and would love to pin the photos if that is ok?

Ruth said...

I don't think I've ever taken a book on a walk, but there have been numerous occasions where I have put a book in my bag, knowing full well that the likelihood of it being opened are slim.

Unknown said...

Beautiful LO (as ever! Love the little details around the puffy sticker so much!)....and loved your stories...a perfect 'Sian' post....thank you! (Am reading on my phone so can't wait to see the LO properly on my computer screen! I'll save up that treat for later tonight!)

Sian said...

Yes of course. And thank you :)

debs14 said...

I rarely take a book out with me unless I've got an appointment somewhere and know that I'll probably be kept waiting. My family think I'm weird because I can read in the car (only when a passenger of course!) whereas everyone else says reading while on the move makes them feel sick.

Unknown said...

I have never knowingly gone anywhere without a book, it is less obvious now as it is on my phone but I always have one. You never know when there will be a 5 minute window. I think you have needed a smaller window than mine though :-)
Lovely layout, they must have made that card for you! That Pinkfresh flair...

Patio Postcards said...

I love to read & it is the best gift my Mother gave me, the love of reading. I have found such solace in books for the mind, body & spirit. Your layout is fantastic & I want that Gossamer Blue Life card. Yes I have ability to walk & read at the same time & sitting outside to read - perfect!

Cheri said...

Reminds me of the Summer I spent reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys mysteries sitting on the patio propped up against a corner of the house because an adult in my life insisted that the children go outside! Great page and the card makes for the perfect title!

alexa said...

That's a splendid title :). And such a pretty page. I am another fan of the doodling; and I love the sentiment 'If I can't take my book, I'm not going'. I think my two would say that! I smiled at the car incident and the pile of magazines; you are reminding me that I have a story to tell about my reading habits too. Another beautifully written post.

Lizzy Hill said...

Girl after my own heart. 'That girl has always got her nose in a book' was the usual saying. But why NOT? It's such an amazing world in there.....least you followed through and became a librarian. Always a dream. I guess English teaching wasn't that far removed..... :) LLOOOOOOOOVE your page. Especially those rows of houses - really grabs the eye :)

Julie Kirk said...

Beautiful page [your albums must be amazing!] - I love those shades.

I'm just as guilty as you. I take a book to work even though, at the moment, I'm spending 6 hours in the library!! Coals to Newcastle!

At least there I never get the 'What if I get it finished? Then what will I read?' panic! And I've got my eye on two huge volumes of Dickens's non-fiction articles ... should tide me over for a while ...

Jennifer Shaw said...

Oh that card is so perfect for you! Love the details of your reading habits as a child. I was quite the opposite and at times was told by my father to sit and read. Susan, on the other hand, would have been hanging out with you at the library. Your LO is beautiful. I am using the Crate "Wonder" line for a mini album that I just started on with Susan for Crafty Tuesday. Such an amazing line!

Barbara Eads said...

I love it when some random phrase jumpstarts an entire page. The story to go with yours is perfect. In turn, your story leads other people to tell one! Like---how my siblings called me lazy for not getting up to answer the phone while I was reading. They never understood that I simple did not hear it! That's what reading amidst a large family will do. You learn to block out the background noise as you are absorbed in your "other world!"

Julia said...

What a great story and a fabulous layout. I agree. A book is much better read in the open air. Not sure I've ever taken one up the mountain yet though!

Karen said...

Like you, I almost always have a book. And now that I keep some on my Kindle app, if I forget one, I can still read while I'm waiting! My problem is deciding how many books I'll need on any given excursion that last more than a couple of days. I have a pile of magazines and two books ready to put in the car for the next trip. Another wonderful layout; I wonder if I have that card. I can think of a good use for it!

Jo said...

I am exactly the same! When I get a new handbag I have to make sure a book or my kindle will fit in it :)

KraftyKaren said...

Really lovely layout, the stag button is so cute. Lovely story - I use to hate having to go out at the weekends and during the holidays, when I would much rather just curl up in a corner with a good book - the grown ups had this daft notion that fresh air would be good for me!!

Sandra said...

I can honestly say that I remember the local library that we used to go to, like it was yesterday. I can recall the children's section and its layout. Also the adult side where I'd walk around and remember how people were sitting on chairs and at tables ... Unlike the children's side, where we'd just plop down where we found a book we'd like. It seemed so big, but I'm sure if I visited now is think differently.

Sandie said...

What a great post Sian - I love to hear stories about your adventures with a book in a tent and how you used to sneak magazines in your back pack. Like you I take plenty of reading material where ever I go. My camper doesn't have a wardrobe for clothes. It has space for my books and book making!
It's great that you carried this love of books into adult hood and work as a librarian.

Anonymous said...

Sitting outside to read is perfect! I can't say thought that I've taken books on walks etc but my kindle is always in my bag when heading to appointments. Funny thing - if you have a book/kindle with you then you can be sure you won't have a wait. :)

Melissa said...

A perfect quote on that card for a title - it would fit me, too! We've just returned from a trip & I've unpacked the books we took along; some we finished, some we started, some we didn't get to.

Monique Liedtke said...

What an awesome page! Pinned it straight away! Love that quote! I would love to hang that in my living room, lol!

Related Posts with Thumbnails