Friday 12 October 2012

Loose Ends

Thank you everyone for weighing in on Wednesday with your thoughts on blogging! You know, when I published that post I was pleased with it. It said what I wanted to say. And then, about two hours later, I realised that I'd made a bad mistake..

Not everyone who reads blogs writes a blog of their own. I ought to have remembered this. maybe the question I should have been asking was - what does blog reading do for you? Because it's certainly true that I read for two years before I started to write, and I saw figures for it somewhere recently: averagely speaking, a third of your readers will blog and the other two thirds won't, I think it said. So I especially want to thank one of my "readers-not-bloggers", Susan, for dropping by to leave a comment and I'd love to hear from anyone else who does the same thing.

I have other loose ends from Wednesday, and several posts before, to catch up with today:-

  • Helen asked if I knew anything more about the schoolgirl who was raising money to feed students in Africa. She's Martha, she blogs at Neverseconds and she raise money for Mary's Meals. I think she's a star!
  • Lisa-Jane wanted to know if I had ever got round to trying to cut tracing paper with my Slice. Yes, here it is. You can see that the cuts are perfectly crisp and it gives a good impression of fancy vellum die cuts. The only precaution I took was to doubly make sure the tracing paper was well smoothed down onto the cutting mat.



  • A couple of weeks back I was asked if we still had Gary the Magnificent, our hamster. Yes! Gary is coming up to his second birthday, and we know that's a good age for a hamster. His fur has always been a perfect sandy shade, but now we can see little flecks of grey and we understand that time is moving on..but for now he is fighting fit.
  • My Photo365 photos: I've been asked if I'm still taking a photo day. Yes! I still check the blog every day for the prompt, but I've discovered that if I don't blog the results it leaves me more free to take really personal photos. We'll be up to number 300 very soon.
  • The sweater I was knitting? Turned out I did need to buy an extra ball of wool in the end, just to make the collar look really good. So It's not quite finished just yet.
  • If you were thinking of having a go at the Sketchbook365 sketch challenge with the sketch from my page - you have another week to add your link. It's been a lot of fun seeing the entries come in and thank you to everyone who has made the design their own!
  • I didn't get a good chance in Wednesday's post to thank everyone who joined in with Storytelling Sunday this month. Thank you! It's always a great one when we have someone new - hello to KathiJo, please drop by and give her a welcome! And if you haven't had a chance to catch up with all the stories yet or even to add yours to the list - this weekend would suit just fine..
..have a great one!

18 comments:

Lisa-Jane said...

Hey that vellum turned out so well! Did you have a go at the embossing too? Its one of those things that I think most of us keep in our minds for cards but it can look good on layouts too. Its a way down the post, on the Summertime layout and its the white stuff. http://comeinsidemycrazyhead.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/being-challenged.html

humel said...

I've just been following you round blogs lol - my comment is just after yours on quite a few new blog posts today!! And now I've followed you here :) Glad to see some tidied loose ends. I'm about to create a couple of loose ends by being adventurous and trying to add a coloured stripe to my first ever knitting project...

Amy said...

Yes, sometimes it is good to have a bit of a catch up post sorting out the questions and bits and pieces.
Many of my readers don't have a blog and I find it means that they don't tend to comment all that often either - which is a pity if you ask me as the conversations and connections are what make blogging so enjoyable. However, it does not diminish the experience whatsoever.

Lou said...

your tracing papers has turned out lovely - now what are you going to do with them?! :)

i have a few non bloggers who read my blog and yet i never noticed you hadn't mentioned them. Interesting post to read x

Miriam said...

What a great post Sian. You answered a few questions that I had but didn't ask! thanks x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that little catch up. I'd been wondering about a couple of those things - like tracing paper.

JO SOWERBY said...

I love a good catch up usually over a cup of Earl grey and a yummy cake. In fact I'm doing just that on Sunday. I am knitting a storm at the moment as Xmas is fast approaching and I have plans for knitting and crochet and sewing projects,
Jo xxx

Barbara Eads said...

The pieces you cut with vellum look fabulous. I do not have the Slice, but I do have the Cricut. I'm going to have to give it a try.

PS I read blogs because they teach me so much!

Ruth said...

I'm grateful to being both a blogger and a blog reader because the experience of both has led me to many wonderful people around the globe.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Always fun to hear the updates. Glad to hear Gary is doing okay.
Rinda

Unknown said...

Great update and I too class myself as a blog reader before a blogger!

Jo said...

Thank you for answering questions that I had been thinking about too :)

Sandie said...

I love random posts, Sian, and I often have snippits I want to post. This is a great way of doing that.
It's good to hear your jumper worked out ok, and that you are still taking 365 photos.

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

It's always good to have a catch up :o) I read blogs for a while before I attempted one myself. I've found so many more interesting blogs, since having my own, simply by following the comments. I know a few friends follow me who don't have blogs. One of them didn't even know what a blog was until I first shared my on Facebook!

alexa said...

Enjoyed reading your little bits today! Although I keep wondering about Horsey - hasn't made an appearance in a long while...

Abi said...

This is still such an interesting question Sian. I was a blog reader for far longer than a blog writer. I am so glad I was because from reading blogs I became more inspired. Glad to hear the 365 photos are coming on well! xxx

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Going through Blogtoberfest this year in preparation for Art Every Day month, I understood I could never blog daily for a year. I love my 365 project but it is more of a memory keeper than artistic one, so all my pics are Paula-related. :D I´ve only forgotten 9 pictures this year, my best average so far.

Jennifer Grace said...

The tracing paper cuts look brilliant, you're always making me want to copy you with your Slice activities! x

Related Posts with Thumbnails