Sunday 30 September 2012

Life's A Circus - My Monthly Make


..or maybe my circus is a little like life. Some bits are funny. Some bits are dangerous. Some bits you wonder where it's going next, other bits you'd rather not be there for at all. The thing about a circus, for me,  is that I'd rather dip in and out.

And that's lucky, because I started making the felt circus over a year ago now  for the Monthly Make challenge in 2011! The (Not So) Small One and I worked on Auguste the lion and his cage; and then, it seems, the circus left town..



But we picked it up again this week and dug in deep to make the circus tent. The pattern for the complete set (which includes a felt ring-of-fire, clowns, elephants and monkeys) comes from a wonderful Etsy shop called Bugga Bugs. I recommend it! Next on my list, I think, will be the felt nativity set.

But for today - the tent. When everything else is finished, it will all fit inside


Oh, look, there's Auguste now..


and here he is again, standing on the opened up stage as the tent flaps come down


We've had fun with this. Maybe we'll manage the Ring of Fire this week? But at least we have finished the main attraction and it's my Monthly Make (read all about the challenge on Annie's blog here and find a lovely round up of other September makes on the September hostess blog Twinkles, Tutorials and Twirls here) for September. Annie the Felt Fairy - we hope you soon feel much much better! 

Next Sunday is Storytelling Sunday. Yes, it's that time again. I've made a start on my story - October? Halloween Month? In this house that means Fancy Dress. So, if you are interested in a theme, how about Let's Dress up! But, of course, as always stories on any topic at all will be very warmly welcomed. See you there.

30 comments:

gayle said...

This looks fab, what a wonderful project :)

Elizabeth said...

That is so cute! Wonderful that you'll have a complete circus when it's finished.

Karen said...

What a great project! I love the colors, and can't wait to see the rest.

Jimjams said...

So good to see some progress on the circus - and what a fun and practical tent it is.

Thanks for the Sunday Story prompt ... I have an idea now :o)

Alana said...

Terrific felt fun:) I love the wobbly Lions cage....maybe he is a little pussy cat really by nature? Ooh, now Im thinking of stories for next week...dressing up, oh I have so may to tell. Maybe it will be about the time the headmaster broke my fall...on stage...dressed as a rapper. Ssh! Wont tell you too much now:)

Lisa-Jane said...

We're just getting into sewing pre-holed items here and I look forward to creating such projects as your wonderful circus. How fab that it fits inside too!

Carmen said...

I love the fabulous bright colours and Auguste is such a cutie. Am glad he's roaming around outside his cage :)

Lou said...

I remember Auguste and his cage. the tent is fabulous too Sian and what a lovely project to pick up and add to when the fancy takes you x ooo best get my thinking cap on for next Sunday!

Mel said...

Very colourful and cute! I was teaching my Year 9's about metaphors and they had to complete the sentence 'my life is...' one girl said 'the grey clouds dispelling any sunlight' and a boy said 'the sunshine rays warming my face.'
I felt the contrast between the two speaks volumes about the disposition of teenage boys and girls!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

That is a great looking project! Love the tent, it is so colorful!

Irene said...

What a wonderful project. It's such a bright, happy Circus and how clever everything fits inside the tent. I am looking forward soon to making things like this as my granddaughter is showing a lot of interest in sewing at the moment.

Kandi said...

What a terrific monthly make you clever thing! Love it x

Estelle Grace Tudor said...

What a fun monthly make - love Auguste - he is very cute!

Hugs, Estelle xx

laurie said...

love your circus tent and all the creative play ideas it invokes. the fact that you and your daughter collaborated on it makes it even more special. :-)

Sandie said...

That looks such fun! I'm sure Little E will just love this circus.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh that is cute - congratulations on getting it done.

Fancy Dress? Well that sorts out WHICH of the various stories to tell next weekend...

Melissa said...

What a fun monthly make!

Barbara Eads said...

Your circus is adorable! What a great mother/daughter project. And best of all are the memories you are creating with her!

Sue Althouse said...

Totally sweet and cute! I'm always impressed with those who can craft across different mediums.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great Make! I've got my story almost ready. . . not for Halloween, but something else October-related.
rinda

alexa said...

This is going to be a family heirloom, passed down the generations, Sian :).

Fiona@staring at the sea said...

Glad to see the circus is back in town :o) Sorry I haven't commented in a while. Been without a laptop and it's just too tricky on my phone!

Anonymous said...

So lovely, Sian - these patterns are great, aren't they?! I also have my eye on the Nativity one!

Jo said...

I'm so pleased you've gone back to the circus and can't wait to see everything finished :)

Ginger said...

This is so much fun! I love all the bright colors and the lion, well I can just about hear his roar!

Look forward to Sunday :)

stephanie said...

gorgeous circus!! thought you might like to see what ive done with the flair: http://skalovingeek.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/mmmm-creme-egg.html

scrappyjacky said...

It's turned out beautifully....so bright....and such fun.

Scrappi Sandi said...

That looks fabulous...I love Auguste especially! :D

Becky said...

A fantastic project - would love to see more when you have done it! No idea what I am doing for Story Telling Sunday this week! Will have to have a think and a play on Friday afternoon when I finish work early.

Anonymous said...

What a neat project for the 2 of you to work on together. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it as you finish them. Can't remember any dress up stories. I've had a few ideas for stories but didn't write them down and now can't remember what they were. :) Hopefully I'll come up with something.

Related Posts with Thumbnails